Monday, April 11, 2011

Waltz with Jesus

What does that even mean?  But I find myself thinking of this phrase all day.  I don't consider myself to be a dancer, a romantic, or a mushy person for that matter but I do know the phrase in my head is connected to the Jesus Culture song "Dance With Me" that I have been listening to all day.  The song has a 3/4 (one, two, three; one, two, three) time sequence and feel to its arrangement, very similar to waltzing, a popular ballroom dance we see in the show Dancing With The Stars.  Not only do the lyrics and the music of the song move me in a deep way that I haven't experienced in a while but theologically I am reminded of the importance of our daily dance with Jesus.  I took ballroom dance classes a few years ago and from what I remember, the Waltz is done in closed position with the dancers facing each other.  The male usually leads the female partner while she mirrors his movements. And the dance is done according to the triple time beat of the music. 

What  would it looked like if I applied the waltz dance analogy in my daily existence?  What would it look like if Jesus was the leader in my dance?  As weird as it is for me as a man to say that I need to dance with Jesus, I can't help but think that my movement to the rhythm and beat of life has to be done in connection with Him as the leader.  Life is a dance and a difficult dance most of the time.  It's a hard dance to learn and one I often try to do alone.  Wouldn't it make more sense for me to dance with the skilled leader who can lead and teach me to dance well.  Plus I'm a terrible leader when it comes to the dance of life.  I make the wrong moves, move to the off beats, and most of the time I'm off tempo.  I also do know I am at peace and in sync when Jesus is leading, even in my darkest moments in life.  

Jesus may I have this dance?  And continue to have this dance?  I pray I dance in close proximity with you, face to face.  Will you teach me how to dance this difficult dance that I suck at?  May You lead my dance in life and may I follow every movement you make.  May I dance in sync and in rhythm with you all my days.

"With You I will go, You are my Love, You are my Fair One.  Dance with me oh Lover of my soul to the songs of all songs." - Jesus Culture (Song: Dance With Me from the album: Consumed)

1 comment:

  1. I love the line that you wrote about dancing in close proximity with Jesus face to face. Beautiful imagery. I think I would want to look away because of my unworthiness next to Him, but knowing Jesus sees His own beautiful creation when He looks at me releases me to gaze fully at Him and soak Him up...to be in sync with Him as He leads me. Awesome, Yemi. Keep on writing!!

    ReplyDelete